efibootmgr help

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 19:47:06 UTC 2015

On 08/29/2015 04:42 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> then if I update ubuntu I have to either do the efibootmgr -o to change
> to ubuntu OR from fedora run grub-2mkconfig.. with 2 ESPs it is a manual
> process to keep grub updated for 2 OSes..

Just pick which system's grub you want to use, and you can stop fiddling
with efibootmgr.  Use grub2-mkconfig in your "primary" system to build a
complete cfg file.

UEFI isn't complicating the issue at all.  Even if you had just one ESP,
you'd still have two grub installations, and two files.  You'd still
have to run grub2-mkconfig in the primary system.

And while it'd be fantastic if it weren't that way, it really can't be
unless grub is "stable" in the sense that the configuration file syntax
is finished, no new features will be added, grub2-mkconfig produces a
predictable output, and all distributions run this stable version of grub.