encrypting /home partition post-install

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:59:02 UTC 2015

On 11/30/2015 11:11 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> It's one more layer of abstraction to confuse newer users when things
> go wrong.

In the context of a conversation where LVM provides a means of
addressing the OP's requirement (encrypting a system after-the-fact),
and where I've outlined numerous concrete examples of LVM features that
I think are useful on desktop systems (backups, SSD acceleration, and
virtualization), do you see how "things might go wrong" isn't very
convincing?  It's kind of vague and, honestly, applies to every aspect
of computing.  Yes, things can go wrong. Software contains bugs.
Simplicity is good.  But LVM is less complex than the vast majority of
system components, and using a similar configuration on desktops and
servers is, from the vendor's perspective, less complexity than
different layouts.