Cups fails with "Filter failed"

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 09:07:26 UTC 2015

Hi Ed,

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 02:30:57PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 12/03/15 14:20, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to print a test page to my new network printer (HP Laserjet
> > Pro MFP 126nw) but it keeps failing with the message: stopped "Filter
> > failed".
> >
> > systemctl says I should look in /var/log/cups/error_log for more
> > details, but my error_log is empty, and the last modified time is from
> > last year!  So I changed LogLevel to debug in cupsd.conf and restarted
> > the service.  This prints all sorts of debug messages to the journal,
> > although none to error_log.  Strangely enough, the journal still says:
> > [Job 325] Job stopped due to filter errors; please consult the error_log
> > file for details.
> >
> > I have checked all the "common cures" I found on the Internet, size of
> > /var/spool/cups (<700k for me), device permissions (doesn't apply as I'm
> > printing over the network).  I have always printed over the network (to
> > other printers), so I'm not sure what is going wrong this time.
> >
> > Any thoughts what is the problem?  Any ideas I could try?
>
> How did you install the printer?  Looking here
>
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_pro_mfp_m126nw.html
>
> suggests "This printer REQUIRES a downloadable driver plug-in"

I used the standard Fedora gui interface to find the printer on my
network, choose IPP, and follow all the prompts to find the printer make
and model, and said yes to the recommended driver, screenshot here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37474389/add_HP_LJP_MFP_126nw.png

My understanding was the fedora gui knows how to download any blobs
necessary for known printers in the database.

Am I missing something?

--
Suvayu