building rpm: error in shared libraries

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Dec 7 22:43:08 UTC 2015

Btw, please stick to proper formatting so that you do not attribute comments made by you to somebody else (in this case me).

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 22:13:40 +0000 arnaud gaboury <arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015, 10:13 PM Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 17:11:19 +0100 arnaud gaboury <arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Ranjan Maitra
> > <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> > > Question: why do you need R-intel-core? My RStudio works fine without
> it.
> >
> > Long debate, but R built with Intel is faster.
>
>>I see, thanks! But, RStudio is hardly what I would use if speed is the issue. (I must confess that I do not use RStudio.)
>
> Rstudio is only the IDE. As for how fast R is able to compute does not
> depend on the IDE, but rather on code and performing libraries.

(This last statement above is your comment, not mine. Please attribute correctly.)

What you write here about code and performing libraries is elementary, of course, but my point is, that comparing apples to apples (i.e. code to code), RStudio slows down computing because it makes a bigger demand on memory (over that demanded by R, which is common to both). For cases where you would see a difference using the Intel compiler over the OSS one, you will experience a bigger hit using RStudio than using vanilla R.

Best wishes,
Ranjan
(R user since 0.4, circa 1997)

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.