Why was YUM removed

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 14:44:38 UTC 2015

On 10 December 2015 at 11:51, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 09 December 2015, Ralf Corsepius sent:
>> My view: The only thing that was wrong with yum, was it being
>> work-in-progress, when its maintainer passed away.
>
> One hopes that something as central as the updating/installing tool
> would be (a) worked on by more than one person, and (b) sufficiently
> documented that the project could be taken over.
>
> My second point seems to be seriously lacking on Fedora.  While I can't
> personally speak to documentation regarding software coding, the
> documentation for operating some software is sorely lacking.  There are
> some distros where good documentation is a prerequisite to software
> being accepted.

Was that not the case for YUM? It was worked on by more than one
person and while I don't know what the developer documentation for it
is like the end user documentation had been around for a long time.
The case, at least as Ralf put it, is that with the lead developer's
(tragic) death the people working on it decided to build something
else instead.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk