Why was YUM removed

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 17:18:35 UTC 2015

On 12/10/2015 04:51 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 09 December 2015, Ralf Corsepius sent:
>> My view: The only thing that was wrong with yum, was it being
>> work-in-progress, when its maintainer passed away.
> One hopes that something as central as the updating/installing tool
> would be (a) worked on by more than one person, and (b) sufficiently
> documented that the project could be taken over.
>
> My second point seems to be seriously lacking on Fedora.  While I can't
> personally speak to documentation regarding software coding, the
> documentation for operating some software is sorely lacking.  There are
> some distros where good documentation is a prerequisite to software
> being accepted.

Having been a sw engineer for more than 40 years,
I can say that for most corporations, documentation is
not a big source of income. Couple that with the fact that
most of the documentation was written before the product
went out the door and also before the product was deemed
"complete and ready to ship", and thirdly, with all the changes
that went into the product (big and small), the documentation
is not rewritten to reflect such drastic changes and modifications.

This is indeed the SW culture IN GENERAL, but not necessarily true
for every single SW product.