F23 Server: unexpected network problem

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 00:49:32 UTC 2015

On 12/09/2015 11:36 PM, Cristian Sava wrote:
> We are in stable stage so I do not expect NIC name changes without
> consistent reason.

I've never noticed it before, but this does look like a bug in Fedora.

On my workstation, for instance, /var/log/anaconda/anaconda.journal.log
contains:
  Jul 21 21:21:39 localhost systemd-udevd[537]: renamed network
interface eth0 to em1

That interface is configured in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1, and
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is empty, but the interface is
*actually* named eno1.

There are two systems that rename interfaces in Fedora, biosdevname and
systemd's net.ifnames.  I'm not sure which of them is at fault here.
However, you could install with both disabled by booting with
"net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0"

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/