using an OS tree to do remote install fails

dwoody5654 dwoody5654 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 03:53:24 UTC 2015

On 12/15/2015 06:13 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 12/15/2015 02:22 PM, dwoody5654 wrote:

>>> Using --dir only, I get an error that says the partition or the
>>> biospart must be specified.
>
> Ah. Ok, I suspect you need:
>
>     install harddrive --partition=sda2 --dir=path/to/tree
>
> don't include a leading "/" in the partition or dir parameters and
> don't include the pipe characters ("|"). The pipe characters are only
> there to show you the various options. In this case the permutations
> are:
>
>     install harddrive --partition=somepart
>     install harddrive --partition=somepart --dir=somepath
>     install harddrive --biospart=somepart
>     install harddrive --biospart=somepart --dir=somepath

I tried:
harddrive --partition=sda2
harddrive --partition=sda2 --dir=install/os
I moved the os directory the the proper location for each line above.

Install source fails in both cases. Clicking on install source, the
screen that comes up shows the iso radio button selected. It can not be
changed
And, as above, the install target shows no hard drives to install to.

If I only change the install source from harddrive to url:
url --url https://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/22/Everything/i386/os/

Everything works and the install competes and reboots to a login screen.

If you can use an os tree from a remote location I would think it should
also work from a local drive.

On the install source screen the only connection methods that are
avaliable are:

http, https, ftp, nfs.

For the harddrive syntax to work I would think that the file option
would be in the list and it is not.

Any thoughts or can you point me to where there might be additional doc?

David
> If you don't include "--dir=somepath", then it's expected that the
> tree or ISO file is in the root of the "--partition=" or
> "--biospart=" specified.
>
> I haven't written a kickstart file in a long, LONG time, so I'm a bit
> rusty.
>
>>> Also I am trying to use a os tree that I downloaded from
>>> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/23/Everything/i386/os/
>>>

>>> David

> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks at alldigital.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> -        "And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode."       -

David Woodyard
President
RD Woodyard, Inc.