rc-local - How to enable ???

Mike Wright nobody at nospam.hostisimo.com
Fri Dec 18 01:02:02 UTC 2015

On 12/17/2015 03:11 PM, Greg Woods wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jd1008 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     vendor preset: disabled)  <<<<< DISABLED ????
>

> I'm still learning all the ins and outs of systemd, but I think "vendor
> preset" means whether or not it would have been disabled with no local
> sysadmin action. I have a number of services that are installed disabled
> but I have enabled and they are working as they should. Example:
>
> systemctl status bacula-fd
> ● bacula-fd.service - Bacula-FileDaemon, a Backup-client
>     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bacula-fd.service; enabled;
> vendor preset: disabled)
>     Active: active (running) since Tue 2015-12-15 08:59:41 MST; 2 days ago
>
> I did "systemctl enable bacula-fd", and it does start automatically at
> every boot.
>
> It is my understanding that the rc-local service will execute at every
> boot if the rc.local file exists and is executable. Here is what the
> comments in the rc-local.service file have to say:
>
> # This unit gets pulled automatically into multi-user.target by
> # systemd-rc-local-generator if /etc/rc.d/rc.local is executable.

rc-local.service will go into a "not running" state without saying why
if it encounters any errors.

If you find yourself in that situation, run rc.local manually.  This
will allow you to see where it is failing.  Make sure any terminating
branches in conditional expressions return 0 when successful.