Virtualbox -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Dec 23 15:01:24 UTC 2015

On 12/20/15 19:07, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> >What am I missing?
> I don't have CentOS or SL at the moment.  But, since Centos is based on RedHat and the
> packages are probably pretty much the same as fedora it sounds like you didn't choose a
> desktop environment at install.
>
> /usr/bin/startx probably is from the same package as on fedora which is xorg-x11-xinit.
>
> So, I would do ...
>
> dnf whatprovides /usr/bin/startx    (or the yum equivalent if that is what CentOS uses)
>
> and then make sure it is installed.
.

I was not able to do dnf/yum anything
because Centos 7.2 could not fine my
ethernet port.

Someone off-list suggested I look at
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interfacename>,
it should be ONBOOT=yes." The default in
everything Centos that I had downloaded
recently was ONBOOT=no! Once that was
fixed I was able to collect the needed
files to make a usable system.

The original DVD download was 4+ GB but
was missing things like the GNOME
Desktop which I thought odd, I expected
it to at least provide a typical basic
system?

I have it working now with xfce, still a
project under work but I have gained a
lot of familiarity with virtualbox as a
result, my objective in this exercise,
so it's not a loss.