no grub after installing fedora23

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Dec 25 00:58:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 3:50 PM, maderios <maderios at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/24/2015 10:33 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> Your
>>>
>>> 'Dell Precision m6800' uses uefi but you have not any efi partition
>>> http://www.manualslib.com/manual/563583/Dell-Precision-M6800.html?page=58
>>> For me, your install is wrong. First, You have to disable uefi secure
>>> boot
>>> in your bios, then install F23. Installer has to detect an efi partition
>>> like '/boot/efi'
>>

>> OK please definitely stop suggesting people disable UEFI Secure Boot,
>> it's bad advice and it's not necessary, Fedora supports Secure Boot
>> just fine. On any system that has Secure Boot enabled with Windows on
>> it, *especially* this is bad advice as it exposes the user
>> unnecessarily to bootloader malware and that's not good. It's a huge
>> PITA to get rid of those.
>

> 'Secure boot' is just a windows problem. In Linux world, nobody uses 'Secure
> Boot'. In Windows world, they need it and they use it because Windows system
> is 'natively' insecured.

1. The OP says he's using Windows. And your advice for this Windows
user, was the disable Secure Boot. It's bad advice.

2. It's completely asinine to assert "nobody uses" Secure Boot in the
Linux world. Considering every new Windows 8+ preloaded computer has
Secure Boot enabled, and most every Linux distro supports Secure Boot
out of the box, it's just factually wrong to assert that no Linux
users use it. Of course they are. Tens of thousands are.

3. Bootloader malware takes control in the pre-boot environment.
That's what Secure Boot is designed to protect against. It hardly
matters how the system is infected. What matters is prevention and
what you're proposing is that people disable being protected against
it. And that's bad advice.

--
Chris Murphy