How to change id and group to the user

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 26 07:50:29 UTC 2015

Tim:
>> But what have you changed the ID values to?  Have you set them lower
>> than 1000?  That will probably affect login.

Walter Cazzola:
> my new uid would be 526 and I would keep the 1000 as a gid but renamed
> from cazzola to collab. If 526 is the problem how I can solve this?

Okay, as the other poster said, you can change some configuration files
to lower the threshold between system user IDs and user IDs.

However, as quite some time ago it was decided to move the threshold to
1000 instead of 500, to follow suit with many other distros, you're
swimming against the tide.  You'll have to handle this reconfiguration
with every update, and probably find more things that don't like this as
time goes on.

If you use IDs below the threshold, you find names don't appear in logon
lists, security functions may restrict what you're allowed to do, etc.

Unless you need a low ID number to fit in with some other OS that you
can't reconfigure, I'd suggest moving up to higher ID numbers, to make
life easier for yourself.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

Lucky for you I typed this, you'd never be able to read my handwriting.