O.T. Affordable scanner

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Dec 31 03:44:35 UTC 2015

Bob Marcan writes:

> Looking for affordable scanner:
> no multifunction device (bad experience with Canon)
> supported by sane
> flatbed
> a4 format
> scan plain documents
> scan photographs in color
> scan photographs in B&W (brown&white, my grandpa was born 1888)
> scan negative & slides
> USB or WIFI

Most Fujitsu scanners are directly supported in SANE. I have it on good
authority that Fujitsu actively supports the SANE project, and often
supplies new hardware in advance, so that support can be developed in
advance of general availability.

Fujitsu scanners are a bit pricier that the competition, though. The
cheapest full-sized scanner I see on Amazon is the iX500 at four hundred
bucks, and, yup, it's listed on http://www.sane-project.org/sane-
backends.html with "Good" support.