Looking for a printer

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Thu Dec 31 20:45:28 UTC 2015

On 31/12/15 12:47, William Henry wrote:
> I have a HP Laserjet Pro 200 and it meets all your criteria.
>
> You will change cartridges less often but they are expensive.
>
> William
>
> P.S. I had no idea tweakers were that into ink cartridges!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Dec 31, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:

>> Howdy, all -
>>
>> I have an Epson Workforce 600 printer, and it's actually a great
>> printer except for one thing: it goes through ink cartridges like an
>> out of control tweaker in a room full of meth.
>>
>> I need a printer with the following features, and I'd love any
>> advice/experience you have had:
>>
>> 1) networked, works with Linux (the kids and me) and Windows (wife)
>> 2) color
>> 3) fast print speed (not as high a priority, but nice)
>> 4) prefer laser printer, as opposed laser jet
>>
>> I had an HP LaserJet 4, and it was awesome, but it was not color and
>> it finally died. I'm looking for that sort of experience, just newer.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> Thomas

When I needed to replace our last inkjet with a laser, purchased HP
m475dn printer.  Full multifunction with other options.  Higher priced
but runs beautifully.  Purchased from HP direct as it was at a lower
cost than I could get quoted at any local shop, it was free shipping at
the time. Had it in a week.

We use these printers at work as well which is one of the reasons I
purchased it.

Purchase supplies direct from HP when on sale  Much lower price than
local stores, in some cases, almost 50% lower.  We usually replace all
color cartridges in a year due to usage and black more often.  HP has a
three pack of color cartridges for the price of two when on sale.  Last
time was less than the cost of two at the local store.  NO expiry date
on the cartridges. They also sell dual packs of black at a greatly lower
cost.  Usually purchase a replacement pair when we put the last one in.

Cost of laser cartridges are much lower than ink used to cost.

With Fedora, printer works out of the box using DHCP or configured
manually.  Scanning requires a HP driver that downloads and installs
almost automatically.

Full duplex which is needed for all the document printing my wife does.
  Also as I found out, does full duplex scanning as well with sheet feeder.

My daughter has a Samsung (cannot remember the model) which worked out
of the box.  Popped up with test print when plugging in to usb as a test
without installing any software.  She configured it for network
printing.  I have never seen it.  Finally had to replace the original
cartridge after a year of university printing.