Mediacast to TV

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 18:57:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-01 at 17:12 +0100, poma wrote:
> On 01.02.2015 16:13, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2015-02-01 at 05:38 +0100, poma wrote:
> >> It was already mentioned in this list
> >> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-September/453339.html
> >>
> >> So Mr. POC, DLNA solution is not enough?
> >
> > Thanks for the reminder.
> >
> > DLNA is something completely different. I already have it working, but
> > of course it's no use when streaming from a non-local source, e.g. when
> > looking at a Web video.
> >
> > poc
> >

> And Now for Something Completely Different? :)
>
> Bravia Internet Video (BIV)
> http://docs.esupport.sony.com/referencebook/en/xbr9/pages/funfeatures/internetvideo.html
>
> So-called smart TV software does not have this feature?

Of course I've tried that. The Bravia shows a whole bunch of (mostly
useless) video providers, also Youtube, Netflix, Amazon etc. That's not
the point. If there's a provider they don't have an app for then the
only option is to use the clunky built-in browser. You also get to
authenticate by typing your password with a TV remote. Hours of fun.
There's also a barely functional Plex client running under an Opera app
in the TV (only works with the paid Plex subscription).

The alternative is to use XMBC on a dedicated PC. There are lots of
those around, but that means a) dropping another $100 or so, and b)
having another bit of hardware to plug in and maintain. Since I already
have an i7 16GB desktop with a fast Internet connection, I was hoping to
reduce the complexity rather than increase it.

> Furthermore have you tried the feature-rich DLNA compliant UPnP free media server?
> http://serviio.org/features
> streams content from online sources, like RSS feeds, live audio/video streams, web page content

I did have a brief try at it a while back. Seemed to be a lot of trouble
to set up and I don't think I got it working. I might take another look.

poc