Impossible to add a remote printer

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 07:05:43 UTC 2015

On 02.02.2015 05:02, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 3:22 PM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Huh. Well my gut instinct is this should work out of the box and that
>>> it's an oversight with firewalld-config-workstation.noarch not
>>> permitting IPP.
>>>
>>> I posted a message on desktop@ whether there should be a printing
>>> related release criteria.
>>>

>> The compilation I mentioned is based on Xfce.
>>
>> Therefore this issue is much wider then "Desktop/Workstation/GNOME"
>> narrow understanding of the concept of a firewall.
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-December/205010.html
>
> poma and antonio, what do you get for:
> rpm -qa | grep firewalld-config
>
> And can both of you confirm which firewall-config checkbox you're
> checking to resolve this? Is it ipp or ipp-client or both? I'm going
> to guess it's just ipp-client that's needed.
>
> Note that ipp and ipp-client uses port 631 which is below the open
> ports 1025+ for Fedora 21. It has to be explicitly permitted and on a
> clean Fedora 21 Workstation VM for me ipp and ipp-client are disabled
> and thus blocked by firewalld. Thing is, it's not obvious because
> firewall-config isn't installed by default.  So it's actually an
> interesting question what the intended workflow for printing to
> network or remote CUPS printers is supposed to be? It's a little silly
> (not really in the funny way) if it's "oh yeah so, yum install
> firewall-config and check ipp-client and then you can print." Umm
> really?
>
> With the IPP Everywhere work in progress, I think this has to be
> enabled by default in order for its goals to be achievable.
> https://www.pwg.org/ipp/everywhere.html

Thank you for your concern.

# ./uld/install-printer.sh
**** Are you going to use network devices ? If yes, it is recommended to configure your firewall.
**** If you want to configure firewall automatically, enter 'y' or just press 'Enter'. To skip, enter 'n'. : y
**** Registering CUPS backend ...
**** CUPS restart OK.
**** Print driver has been installed successfully.
**** Install finished.

$ firewall-cmd --list-ports
22161/udp

$ grep -R 22161 uld/
uld/noarch/firewall.sh:DEFAULT_SNMP_BROADCAST_PORT="22161"
uld/noarch/security.pkg:# allow cups bind 22161 udp port
uld/noarch/security.pkg:	"$SEMANAGE" port "$1" -t ipp_port_t -p udp 22161

poma