Brother HL-L2340DW -_-

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 5 09:07:39 UTC 2015

On 02/05/15 01:28, poma wrote:
>> >We keep getting further from answering that. Last week I began with a
> On this list it happens all the time, including questions and answers.:)
>
> Also this list is not:
> "Customer Service Center"
> "CERTIFIED Center of Excellence"
> :)
.
No, as a rule this list is better than any "Customer Service Center!"

>> >phone call to Brother Tech Support where the only answer was in an
>> >e-mail follow-up. The guy I was talking to couldn't admit, after going
>> >off to investigate, that they had no driver, their response would be by
>> >e-mail:
>> >
>> >"Description of Solution 200000004054 *
>> >
>> >Currently, Linux support is not available for your Brother machine.
>> >
>> >For current support information in regards to Linux you may visit
>> >http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html"
>> >
>> >That shows that they offer Linux support for many printers but none in
>> >this series.
>> >
> Why not study the product and inquire*before*  purchase?
> Is the price priority or should it be something "else", it is up to each to decide.
.

I read the spec's carefully and knew what I was buying, it was CHEAP! My
HL-2170W needed either Toner, a new toner cartridge, or a drum assembly,
I could not determine which without some empirical testing and I had
nothing to try to substitute ... I consulted the people I buy toner
from, considered prices, and decided the printer Newegg had on sale that
morning was worth trying, a whole new set of parts for what it might
cost to fix the HL-2170W. Who could turn that down? The lack of an
Ethernet port worried me but I bought it anyway and paid for that with
my time required to get the damned thing set to where I could access it
with the browser.

> Not that I recommend, but few*details*  catches the eye, and it is applicable to any printer of any manufacturer:
>
> - HL-L2340DW:
> a) Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Wi Fi Direct
> b) 1-line LCD display
>
> - HL-L2380DW:
> a) Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Ethernet, Wi Fi Direct
> b) 2.7" Color TouchScreen Display
> c) Copying and high-quality color scanning
>
> Ref.
> http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2340DW-Printing-Wireless-Networking/dp/B00LZS5EEI
>
> Whether a particular model actually has the Ethernet should always carefully check.
> Because of the lack of the Ethernet,*any*  network-capable printer is just a good joke.
> Always has to go with the Ethernet, and only then with the WiFi, NFC, etc.
> In this way, it "should" be possible to access WebUI management without hassle.
> Is it so with the Brother, do not ask me.
>
> 1-line LCD display!?:)
> Welcome to the year 2015.
.
Yes, a tiny one line display with no backlight. I needed a flashlight
and a magnifier to read it!

> Nor I can not comment on what is the*actual*  support for "Linux".
> BTW Linux is just a kernel.:)
> How many there are technical illiteracy in the world it is actually amazing.
>
> Besides the Brother is neither the first nor the last manufacturer of printers.
.

My experience with Brother has been generally good. They don't do things
to make it difficult to refill their toner cartridges, just pull a plug
out and pour in the toner, reset a "flag gear" and it thinks it has a
new Brother cartridge.

I have had ink jet printers that required special tools to reset the
cartridge, even an HP laser printer that needed a special tool to make a
fill hole, etc. So I stick with the one I know.

What happened to service manuals with electronic schematics, etc? There
was a time when every "two-way" radio came with complete service
information! Who has ever seen such stuff for a computer or it's
peripherals?

I guess I expect too much,

Bob

--