(La)TeX suddenly can't find anything

Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus aradnix at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:47:29 UTC 2015

> I've been using LaTeX on a fully updated Fedora 21, but now suddenly
> even TeXing the simplest plain TeX file produces this:
>
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/ls-R: No usable
> entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-var/ls-R: No usable entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R: No usable
> entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/ls-R: No usable
> entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2014) (preloaded format=tex)
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt tex.fmt
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/ls-R: No usable
> entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-var/ls-R: No usable entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R: No usable
> entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/ls-R: No usable
> entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
> found (ls-R missing?).
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the format file `tex.fmt'!
>
> There are a few ls-R files around, and all but one are binary files
> (see below) which surprises me, but rpm -V on the package that
> contains them doesn't complain. (The one that is a plain text file has
> only this:
>
>  % ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.
> ./:
> .:
> ls-R
>
> in it.)
>
> file says of the binary ls-R files that they're xz compressed; and
> after uncompressing them, file reports this:
>
> ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
> BuildID[sha1]=d1cc6893beed5454b21594f2dff8f27b6d9fad7d, not stripped
>
> Can this be related to a recent filesystem problem on / ? I've
> reinstalled all texlive packages after noticing and repairing it.
>
> And, most importantly, what should I try?

First of all you must to stay calm. The second thing you can do is
make this same query in TeX StackExchange which is the most relevant
place to ask anything related to TeX.

However, in the meantime, it seems that something related to R crashed
in Fedora, you recently just upgraded some related package?

What version of TeXlive you have installed?

Have you tried to download from the CTAN TeXLive 2014 and install it?

Is the problem that you relate, generally with any document or one in
particular?

Regards