mtp devices

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Feb 17 01:30:56 UTC 2015

Patrick O'Callaghan writes:

> On Sun, 2015-02-15 at 15:46 -0700, jd1008 wrote:
> > When I connect my phone via usb, gnome (or more exactly, mate)
> > pops up a window which displays 2 icons named:
> > internal storage
> > sd card
> >
> > however, mount command does not show them mounted.
> >
> > I want to browse them via the terminal cli interface.
> >
> > How do I force mate or gnome to mount them the traditional way?
> >
> > When I click on internal storage icon, the pathname in the gui is
> > displayed as
> > mtp://[usb:002,005]/Internal%20storage
> > and sd card is displayed as
> > mtp://[usb:002,005]/SD%20Card
> >
> > Thanx for any info on how to achieve what I want to do.
>
> yum install simple-mtpfs

This won't work, of course, if your USB device is really a USB storage
device that Gnome has decided, for some dumb reason, is really an MTP only
device.

This is what F21's Gnome decided my MP3 player was. After updating to F21, I
could not mount my MP3 player any more. What was, for several years, a USB
storage device, was now allegedly an MTP device. Which works as well as you
can probably expect.

After I received no response to my bug report, I simply bit the bullet and
switched my last workstation to XFCE. Unlike Gnome, F21's XFCE desktop can
mount my MP3 player just fine, with no issues.