Fedora 20: After running yum update the Mate Terminal doesn't start anymore

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Feb 27 03:56:50 UTC 2015

On 02/27/15 11:09, Jim Lewis wrote:
>> On 02/27/15 09:03, Jim Lewis wrote:
>>>   Since I fully expect to have no terminals when I finally reboot I have
>>> opened Bug 1196472 for this issue. They have already begun to look at
>>> the problem.
>> FWIW, at times I've experienced "weird" things after updates.  The latest
>> one was segfaults in ibus after an update.  Simply logging out and logging
>> back in has always fixed this sort of thing.
>>
>> Also, I happen to have an F20 VM with multiple desktops installed but not
>> updated in quite some time.  I just stated the VM, logged in as a MATE
>> user and updated.  I was not able to recreate the problem you're seeing.
>>
> Hi Ed,
>
>   Thanks for trying that out. I don't expect that many people have seen
> this problem or else I would have found it during my search. And,
> there's still a good chance a reboot will solve it. If only I wasn't
> such a big wuss ...
>
>   I have found one more data point: I noticed I could open another
> terminal from a root session but not a guest session. Turns out the
> DISPLAY variable needs to be set first. I exported it to ":0.0" and a
> guest terminal will now come up when I run mate-terminal &.

It would seem that there is nothing wrong with the mate-terminal itself.  I would check one thing however.

In the upper left there is a "Fedora" icon.  I would "right click" on that and select "Edit Menus".  I would then navigate to "System Tools" highlight "Mate Terminal" right click on it and display the properties and ensure it is set to just "mate-terminal" in the Command.

I may even create a new menu item with the needed information and see if I can create my own menu item that works.