emacs with emacs-slime shows error "Don't know how to compile nil"

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 09:43:05 UTC 2015

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 02:32:52 +0000, R Mercado wrote:

> I see the error below when starting emacs ever since I added emacs-slime
> to my fedora 20 box.
>
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/slime.el:Error: Don't know how
> to compile nil
>
> Where to report the bug?

There is no single answer to that question, but:

You could run  "rpm -qf /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/slime.el"
to find out which Fedora package contains that file. Alternatively:

  $ repoquery --whatprovides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-strt.d/slime.el
  emacs-slime-0:3.0-0.8.20120525cvs.fc19.noarch

Next you will need to find out whether "emacs-slime" is the name of the
src.rpm package, because when reporting at Fedora bugzilla, the Source package
name is relevant.

You could do a bit of detective work before reporting the issue, e.g. by
examining the src.rpm package, looking for mistakes:

  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/emacs-slime.git/

You could look up the upstream URL and report the problem there.

You could visit  http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/emacs-slime  and report
it directly to Fedora, assuming it to be a bug specific to Fedora.