chrony lan -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jan 4 09:14:07 UTC 2015

On 01/03/15 20:55, g wrote:
> laughing at yourself or using syncing servers to a workstation.;-)
>

> hi Bob,
>
> along with what Ed Greshko suggested,,,
>
> being that you have mentioned the internet time cost with being on
> satellite, you prefer to limit running ntp for clock syncing.
>
> so what is wrong with WWV? surely you can receive WWV on 10 meters from
> where you are.
>
> and if so, you can tweak 'drift rate' /etc/adjtime. just check WWV time
> every 24 hrs at same time for a week and tweak 'drift rate' to compensate.
>
> after 7 days, check every other day until you get drift to minimal.
>
> lines in /etc/adjtime are;
>
>    line 1 numbers:
>     1st= systematic drift rate in seconds per day,
>      floating point decimal.
>     2nd= resulting number of seconds since 1969 UTC of most recent
>      adjustment or calibration, decimal integer.
>     3rd= zero, for compatibility with clock(8), decimal integer.
>
>    line 2 number:
>      resulting number of seconds since 1969 UTC of most recent
>      calibration.  zero if there has been no calibration yet
>      or it is known that any previous calibration is moot.
>      ie, because the hardware clock has been found, since that
>      calibration, not to contain a valid time, decimal integer.
>
>    line 3:
>      "UTC" or "LOCAL". setting of the hardware.
>
> you could also use 'hwclock' to adjust /etc/adjtime. see "man hwclock"
> for how to use. also, a good article;
>
>    http://www.sanfoundry.com/5-hwclock-command-usage-examples-linux/

Good morning George:

Glad to hear from you, you've been conspicuous by your absence, at least
from the lists I read. I wish you a healthy, happy, and prosperous new year.

We've made it through the Christmas holiday and life should gradually
return to near normal here.

Linux offers some sophisticated schemes for keeping time and I prefer to
use them, they have been working for me for a long time although I have
been aware of a problem with the servers and I want to try and fix those
so they work the same way.

I don't think I need microsecond accuracy, just would like them all to
agree to the nearest second perhaps. I was seeing a couple of minutes
difference in the samba server the other day which made it hard to
correlate date between the server and client logs.

WWV and WWVB are available and could be used but that requires constant
attention from me and I would prefer avoiding that unless there's no
other way.

I now have most of the samba problems sorted out, I still can't run
firewalld on the server end though and haven't found why yet. Firewalld
and selinux work on everything else but samba is really a nightmare to
deal with, too many Windows terms, etc.

Well I've had my coffee and two Keebler oatmeal cookies so now I can go
back to bed until the sun comes over the edge, Addy, my weimaraner will
probably want to go out first but I can still get a few zzz's.

Later,

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD