f21 - dead.letter

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jan 4 16:10:00 UTC 2015

On 01/04/2015 10:05 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 04.01.2015, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Jan 04 03:01:07 lx120e.htt-consult.com sSMTP[16108]: Unable to locate mail
>> Jan 04 03:01:07 lx120e.htt-consult.com sSMTP[16108]: Cannot open mail:25
>> # systemctl -l status postfix
>>    postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent
>>     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/postfix.service; enabled)
> Seems you have two mail servers running (sSMTP and postfix)

Oh???  I did not even know about sSMTP until now.  This is 'new', I
think as we had quite a thread back with F20 not shipping with any
mailer to send cron outputs.

So perhaps sSMTP is all I need, since I only need cron outputs, and they
can be sent to my MTA.  Looks like it will take a bit to figure it out,
as though it does not read the aliases file, it has its own way of
sending root email in the config file.  Also my MTA only accepts sending
mail for account holders via TLS, and I have a self-signed cert so I
will have to see how it handles that. wiki.archlinux is giving me some
help...

>> Then try to create aliases.db from the /etc/aliases that I had edited to add
>> routing root's mail to rgm:
> [....]
>
> Postfix reads the alias file as specified by "alias_maps". You can
> confirm that by doing a "postconf alias_maps". After editing and
> "newaliases", did you actually re-start postfix?

Although I run postfix for my MTA, I have automated so many config items
that I am quite rusty on the steps.  So if I do end up needing postfix,
I will have to reread on alias_maps,,,

> systemctl restart postfix.service

Actually you can leave off the .service it seems.