chrony lan - OT -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 5 06:43:36 UTC 2015

Allegedly, on or about 04 January 2015, Bob Goodwin sent:
> But I could have two crony/NTP servers no? In addition to box10 I
> could make box7 an ntp server and list both in the clients
> configuration file?

Yes, that's actually a good idea.  If you already have two PCs
consulting the outside world for time, make them servers on your LAN,
and let your clients use them.  That lets your clients get time from
either server, if one of them isn't available for some reason.

A NTP client really should consult several NTP servers (some say at
least four), and those servers should consult more than one server, too
(unless they are *the* master server with an atomic clock, etc).  Some
math is done to work out the differences/delays between multiple
servers, to work out which servers are closer up the chain to a master
server, and your own clock's inaccuracies, and your client does its
trick as it sees best based on that information.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

ZNQR LBH YBBX