Nouveau driver is fast in Fedora 21 -_-

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue Jan 6 08:33:10 UTC 2015

On 01/06/2015 04:53 PM, poma wrote:
> Scrolling is super fast in Firefox using the nouveau[.ko][_drv.so] modules under
> Fedora 21. In fact the whole system seems fast, but that's another feature.
> Has anyone else noticed notable performance of the Linux & Xorg X11 nouveau video modules
> for NVIDIA graphics chipsets driven on:
>
> x64/32 mamma board / 1 CPU
> VGA Chipset: G98 (NV98) / Family : NV50
> Xfce 4.11
>

> Merci beaucoup

My experience with the proprietary driver and nouveau driver using an
Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 graphics card and KDE is that compared to the
proprietary driver the nouveau driver is horribly slow. I have on
occasion had to use the nouveau driver when I have updated the kernel
and there wasn't a corresponding proprietary driver, in all versions of
fedora F18 to F21, and the system was extremely sluggish with the
nouveau driver. Even opening the Kmenu in the task bar was extremely
slow. I have in the past also tried to run Tux Racer under the nouveau
driver and it was completely unusable. I didn't validate exactly what
sort of performance the nouveau driver was providing, but the impression
from trying to play the game was that it would be lucky if the driver
was giving 1 FPS frame rate.
Consequently my recommendation would be for anyone with an Nvidia card
to always use the proprietary driver. In fact, in my opinion, Fedora are
doing users a grave dis-service by not providing/supporting the
proprietary driver in their standard repositories like the other 2
distros I am familiar with using (Ubuntu and Mandriva).

regards,
Steve