Nouveau driver is fast in Fedora 21 -_-

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 7 08:14:07 UTC 2015

On 01/07/2015 08:25 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 06.01.2015, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> My recommendation is not to buy NVidia Cards ;)
>
> Besides that nvidia cards/nouveau have been working for me,
For me, too ... Most of the time :-)

But I can relate why setting up can be "too much" for new-comers. ATM
have machines, which are using the nouveau drivers, while I also have
others which are using the proprietary nvidia-drivers.

> do you
> think e.g. AMD/Radeon cards are any better, and why? Is the driver
> more stable, faster etc.?
I don't know - I haven't had an AMD/Radeon card for years.

One exception is my home-office-server, which is equipped w/ an older
on-board Radeon GPU, on which xorg's "Radeon" driver works sufficiently
well out-of-the-box for "occasional use on a server".

> I'm going to buy a new gfx card for one of my machine soon, and would
> appreciate any good information I could get.
Sorry, but I actually can't provide you with much help, here.

Ralf