Fedora 21 on a GIGABYTE P34Gv2-CF4 (NVIDIA GeForc GTX 860M)

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Thu Jan 8 15:12:55 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-07 19:05, Doug wrote:
> On 01/07/2015 06:37 PM, CS DBA wrote:
>> All;
>>
>> I'm thinking about getting a GIGABYTE P34Gv2-CF4 with these specs:
>>

>> - 14.0” FHD 16:9 LED IPS Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Anti-Glare
>> Matte Type Screen
>> - 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz - 3.5GHz, 6MB
>> Intel® Smart Cache)
>> - NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 860M (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™
>> Technology
>> - 16GB DDR3 1866MHz [SKU-444BX] (Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel
>> Memory (2x8GB SODIMMS))
>> -512GB Crucial M550 Solid State mSATA III (Read 550MB/s - Write 500MB/s)
>> - 1TB Crucial M550 SSD (Read 550MB/s - Write 500MB/s (SATA III))
>> - Smart Li-ion Battery (4-Cell)
>>
>> Most of the hardware seems compatible enough, I only have 2 concerns:
>>
>> 1) the 512GB Crucial M550 Solid State mSATA III, can I install the OS
>> & boot off this drive?
>>
>> 2) the NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 860M (4.0GB) GDDR5, I've seen some posts
>> of folks having issues with this card,
>>       will it work with the open source nouveau drivers (even if I get
>> less functionality)? Or with the kmod-nvidia packages?
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>

> YOu asked for thoughts, so:
> Why buy a top of the line video card if you're going to hobble it with
> nouveau?
> If you find out that the nVidia driver doesn't work with your hardware,
> you might
> as well buy a cheaper card.
>
> --doug

I am a nVidia fan for ages.

I have an old nVidia card that is now in the legacy category of nVidia's
support and it is a pain.

I would look at the rpmfusion nVidia drivers and see what they have to
offer.  Presently, rpmfusion doesn't offer the nVidia driver for my card
so I loaded the nVidia binary which I think is a mistake as I am having
issues.  I will retest the Nouveau driver when the rpmfusion version of
the nVidia driver works.

If the rpmfusion rpm offers the latest driver from nVidia, then see what
nVidia says about the card and Linux.

I used to use AMD but when they dropped the ball on Linux support some
years ago, I avoided them.  Now I have used both AMD and nVidia drivers
and been happy.

I use KDE as I hate the gnome interface which I feel Windows 8.x ripped
off.  :)

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

 From nVidia site, they have a driver, 343.36 as of 2014-12-08

rpmfusion has this version.