What is Jabber?

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu Jan 8 21:22:37 UTC 2015

On 01/07/2015 03:50 PM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 06 January 2015, Stephen Morris sent:
>> I had empathy and pidgin both installed. I've uninstalled empathy and
>> the prompt seems to have disappeared. My question now is what have
>> Fedora gotten wrong in the F21 version of empathy as it did not behave
>> this way in F20.
> Accidentally set up an IM identity using the wrong protocol?
>
> Accidentally set up something in that desktop account thing, not
> realising you were configuring an IM account?

I haven't done any IM configuration at all. I ran an unattended Fedup
upgrade from F20 to F21 and the prompt for a password for a Jabber
connection appeared on the first boot after the upgrade had finished. I
had never seen this prompt before the upgrade to F21, but having said
this it may have been an issue with the Fedup process as the upgrade
process has been horrendous for the first time.
After the upgrade to F21, networking doesn't work properly, plymouth
doesn't appear to work properly, dkms type processes don't appear to
work, systemd functionality after the loading of the nvidia proprietary
driver appear to be worse than in F20, grub2 doesn't appear to work
properly.