MC Midnight Commander: error opening PDF files refers to Dolphin

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 14 06:55:54 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-01-12 at 13:23 +0100, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> I have always used MC as my commandline filemanager and really like
> it. However, since Fedora 21, when opening a PDF file it always shows
> an error that it cannot open "/usr/bin/dolphin" which is
> understandable, because by default gnome uses a different file manager
> (Nautilus I think).

I haven't used MC for ages, but can you try simply changing the
preferences for what MC uses to open PDF files?  MC may have defaulted
for using a KDE client, instead of something else.

Some things palm off opening files to some other file handler, such as
gnome-open, or xdg-open (the latter is less biased towards a particular
desktop), which check the file to see what it is, then open it with an
appropriate default program.  If MC does that, it may be that you need
to configure /that/ handler instead of MC.

Or, maybe the solution is to reconfigure MC to use that handler to deal
with PDF files.

Usually, with something more graphical than MC, you can right click on a
particular file, then choose what it's opened with, and also have some
option for changing the default application for what will open the same
type of file.  I don't know if MC works that way now, nor whether simply
right clicking on some PDF file through your desktop, instead of MC,
will let you set default preferences that will apply to MC, as well.

Somewhere in there, one of those suggestions ought to do the trick, but
write back to the list if you're still stuck.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.7-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 04:08:31 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.