MC Midnight Commander: error opening PDF files refers to Dolphin

A.J. Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 15 13:46:19 UTC 2015

On 14-01-15 22:07, poma wrote:
> On 14.01.2015 07:55, Tim wrote:
>> On Mon, 2015-01-12 at 13:23 +0100, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>>> I have always used MC as my commandline filemanager and really like
>>> it. However, since Fedora 21, when opening a PDF file it always shows
>>> an error that it cannot open "/usr/bin/dolphin" which is
>>> understandable, because by default gnome uses a different file manager
>>> (Nautilus I think).
>> I haven't used MC for ages, but can you try simply changing the
>> preferences for what MC uses to open PDF files?  MC may have defaulted
>> for using a KDE client, instead of something else.
>>
>> Some things palm off opening files to some other file handler, such as
>> gnome-open, or xdg-open (the latter is less biased towards a particular
>> desktop), which check the file to see what it is, then open it with an
>> appropriate default program.  If MC does that, it may be that you need
>> to configure /that/ handler instead of MC.

Actually, MC doesn't show anything in "Command / Edit extension file"
where I would expect PDF files to be specified, as far as I can see they
are not. Still, MC tries to open /usr/bin/dolphin, which I haven't
installed and don't want to install.

I checked out xdg-mime (thanks poma) and it shows xpdf as executable
(which *is* installed):

[gbonnema at mahatma ~]$ xdg-mime query default application/pdf
xpdf.desktop

So I was wondering, could the pdf extention be hidden in a regular
expression in such a way that I don't recognize it as being pdf? I have
no idea why mc wants to load /usr/bin/dolphin.

Kind regards, Guus.