Cannot boot laptop due to video driver

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 07:55:28 UTC 2015

On 16.01.2015 07:20, Robin Laing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to help my child whom is across the country repair their
> laptop after installing the wrong video driver.  They can boot into
> emergency mode but not any of the other kernels.
>
> During booting into the system, the boot process stops close to the
> point of starting KDM.

It is *boot*-ing OK, only the *init*-ialization of the userspace service - in your case display/login manager(KDM), doesn't work.
KDM depends on the X server, which in turn depends on functional X video module *and* kernel video module.
You should deal with modules within 'multi-user.target'. i.e. non-graphical user environment and shouldn't touch the configuration of the boot loader, at all.