Adding shortcut to desktop

Alex Regan mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 23:35:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a fedora21 desktop that I'm building for my father-in-law and
have installed gnome-tweak-tool to enable icons on the desktop. Now, I'd
like to add an icon on the desktop to automatically start a qemu
instance of windows7. I'd even settle for an icon that opens
virt-manager in such a way as to be able to start the instance.

How about adding it to the menu that appears when you move the mouse all
the way to the left?

I found this link at gnome.org but I can't believe that it's still this
hard for an end-user (my father-in-law) to add links to his own programs?

https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en

Maybe there's a desktop that isn't so deficient?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex