current laptop recommendations

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Sun Jan 18 04:59:34 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-09 06:43, Ian Malone wrote:
> Anyone have any good suggestions for a new laptop with good Linux
> compatibility? My current one is about 8 years old (IIRC), not looking
> for anything superspecced to replaced it, just annoyances like reduced
> battery life and the wifi switch playing up are starting to build up
> (plus people have poked the screen one too many times). It's a 13.3"
> screen with 100GB hard drive and I guess I'd be hoping to find
> something similar with a maximum budget of about £500.

I would avoid HP.  Bought one and had all kinds of problems.  Glad I got
it really cheap as a friend had won it.  Just wanted a low cost machine.

Looking at other HP laptops, I would avoid as the construction is not nice.

I don't know about England but I can get a pretty decent laptop for that
price.

I would pay extra for more ram if possible.

I like Asus laptops but not sure about dual booting into the latest Asus
I just purchased.  Couldn't get a Fedora install disk to boot with
secure boot.