Fedora-21 firewall advice?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 18 14:29:21 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-01-17 at 13:41 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm surprised that I have never seen an article starting
> "In Fedora 21 you will have to choose between firewalld and iptables."
> Or have I completely misunderstood the situation?

For clarity's sake, firewalld does use iptables rules to do its trick,
but there is also a system service called "iptables" that runs a set of
iptables rules (the latter is the one that we're used to).

These two services are mutually incompatible, as far as I'm aware (or
would require special configuration to have them both run concurrently),
as firewalld can dynamically change rules to suit running applications
(which some will say is not a secure practice), but iptables doesn't do
that (it applies pre-configured rules).  You'd have one trying to change
the rules of the other.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.8-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Fri Jan 9 00:01:03 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.