End of 32-bit support?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Jan 20 07:28:34 UTC 2015

On 1/19/2015 10:50 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 01/19/2015 08:24 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Note that this is all from a blog post.:)
>
> It is unfortunate that site writes sensational headlines on a random
> few words.
>
>> There's not been any formal proposal, or even discussion on the devel
>> list. Phoronix seems to be picking up any scrap of news. I guess it's
>> flattering that Fedora is worth the scrutiny.
>
> To further back up Kevin a 32-bit environment must stay around, if not
> for Linux apps, but for Windows apps.  In order to run a
> super-majority of Windows software with wine, we will need to keep
> 32-bit around and I will be at the front of any opposition to removing
> 32-bit from Fedora.
>
> However, I will not stop the installer or kernel for 32-bit from being
> dropped.

I suspect there remain parts of the planet where 32-bit machines and
modest communication channels are all that is available.  Command line
software implementing dial-up sessions still need support if they're all
that's available for some area's connectivity. Emergency field day
connectivity should not be forgotten in the glare of high-resolution
entertainment and various mega-cash flows. Maintaining effective
operation of minimal systems remains an important foundation for
successful larger-scale systems.

Ken