End of 32-bit support?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 20 08:04:32 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 03:24 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 02:12:23 +0000 (UTC)
> Bill Oliver <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:

>> It's not a big deal to me -- all of my boxes are fairly modern.
>> However, I thought one of the big selling points of linux in general
>> is that you could run it on just about anything, including old,
>> obsolete boxes.
It is.

> Sure, but sometimes it's hard to target both ends of the spectrum.

I do not agree with your statement, but believe this to be largely a
matter of _will_.

It's obvious to me, the ix86 doesn't fit into the Red Hat's business
plans and their server deployment scenarios, so I'd presume there is a
strong desire at RH to get rid of the ix86, which collides with a
community desire to keep their ix86 running Fedora.

Also, it's a matter of fact Fedora has been doing a fairly good job at
keeping the ix86 in decent shape over the last decade, despite the
gradually declining numbers of users, keeping Fedora as one of last
resorts on such HW.

Ralf