End of 32-bit support?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 20 17:51:27 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 06:19 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Is it the introduction of requiring sse2?

Yes, this would definitely be death of Fedora on my PIII and would force
me to escape to a non-redhat distribution.

I would also consider this to be an unfriendly act against those users,
who are keeping such old machines around,

- to drive old-hardware (This is the reason I keep a PIII).

- to test SW. IMO, using old HW are an efficient means to reveal issues
new SW has, one often would not notice on new HW.

- because they tried to escape WinXP's EOL. With WinXP having been
discontinued, many of these machines have been migrated to Linux or have
been given away for free and now are being "recycled" for
"testing"/"experimental" purposes.

- to prevent unnecessary expenses. Many of machines from this generation
are not as sensitive to HW-malfunctions and pre-planned obsolescence as
later generations of HW and still are usable for occasional use.

Another other question would be "Why sse2?" and "why now?"

Fedora never, ever has had sse2, so the gradually remaining community of
ix86-users are not expecting to see it. - I feel requiring sse2 is a
management mistake, because it drives away users for the price of
questionable advantages.

To put into a provocative question: Do you want to keep the group of
potential users big as possible or do you want squeeze the last bit out
and destabilize Fedora?

Ralf