Xorg display locks after idle time

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jan 20 18:58:37 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 09:56 AM, Alex Regan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a fedora21 box and periodically the display stops responding. The
> display on the monitor is blank, and trying to wake it again with the
> mouse or keyboard is not successful.
>
> I can VNC into the system, and while the screensaver is on with the
> clock in the center, the clock does continue to update.
>
> It's like my keystrokes aren't being acknowledged, I'd say.
>
> I can access the system remotely via ssh. I've tried killing Xorg, but
> nothing changes. It just comes back in this screensaver mode and the
> monitor is still unresponsive.
>
> I'm using the default driver that's chosen at install time for an ATI
> Radeon chipset.
>
> I've looked through the Xorg.9.log file and there is nothing indicating
> any type of helpful error message.
>
> How can I troubleshoot this further? Perhaps it's a known problem?

Uhm, are you certain it's just the screensaver or could it be the
machine is going into suspend or sleep state? In some cases, sleep or
suspend also powers down the USB ports. If you're using USB keyboards
or mice, that could prevent the items being seen. This can be disabled.
The shotgun approach is, as root:

	for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/autosuspend; do echo 2 > $i; done

This would turn off autosuspend for all USB devices.