Xorg display locks after idle time

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jan 20 19:49:17 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 11:33 AM, Alex Regan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> I have a fedora21 box and periodically the display stops responding. The
>>> display on the monitor is blank, and trying to wake it again with the
>>> mouse or keyboard is not successful.
>>>
>>> I can VNC into the system, and while the screensaver is on with the
>>> clock in the center, the clock does continue to update.
>>>
>>> It's like my keystrokes aren't being acknowledged, I'd say.
>>>
>>> I can access the system remotely via ssh. I've tried killing Xorg, but
>>> nothing changes. It just comes back in this screensaver mode and the
>>> monitor is still unresponsive.
>>>
>>> I'm using the default driver that's chosen at install time for an ATI
>>> Radeon chipset.
>>>
>>> I've looked through the Xorg.9.log file and there is nothing indicating
>>> any type of helpful error message.
>>>
>>> How can I troubleshoot this further? Perhaps it's a known problem?
>>
>> Uhm, are you certain it's just the screensaver or could it be the
>> machine is going into suspend or sleep state? In some cases, sleep or
>> suspend also powers down the USB ports. If you're using USB keyboards
>> or mice, that could prevent the items being seen. This can be disabled.
>> The shotgun approach is, as root:
>>
>>      for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/autosuspend; do echo 2 > $i;
>> done
>>
>> This would turn off autosuspend for all USB devices.
>
> Could it be in suspend mode while still being able to access it remotely
> via ssh?

Yes, it's possible as the machine wakes up on network access. Problem
is that it doesn't necessarily wake up the USB ports. I've seen that
before.

> Good tip for the autosuspend, though. Is there no way to do this via the
> desktop apps?

Uhm, not that I know of. You could put those commands in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local and it'd happen on boot.

> I've turned the PC over to my father-in-law now, so I'll either need to
> explain to him how to do it, or try and do it remotely.

Remember, I don't KNOW if the USB suspend is happening, it was something
to check. There may be something else that's causing this.