End of 32-bit support?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:43:52 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 04:38 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 01/20/2015 10:52 AM, Temlakos wrote:
>> Does this mean Skype will no longer be available in this platform?
>
> No.  There hasn't been a proposal to remove 32 bit support from the 64
> bit release.  The proposal, which is still hypothetical, would be to
> make the 32 bit platform (the release with a 32 bit kernel, and all
> i686 packages) to a secondary release from its current status as a
> primary. Like other secondary archs, it would still be available.  The
> change would primarily reflect the reality that the 32 bit release is
> mostly still available because it works, and not because there are
> people actively working on it.

OK, here's where I stand. I've been using the 64-bit release for four
years now. That includes a 64-bit kernel. But I have one or two 32-bit
applications, that need 32-bit libraries. I would like to know these
would still be available--until such time as the worthies who developed
the Skype client, develop a better 64-bit client than they currently
have developed.

Temlakos