Two independent SSHD processes?

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Wed Jan 21 02:01:28 UTC 2015

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> But if you read the SSHD man page and the /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd script,
>> you'll find that the PID is always recorded at /var/run/sshd.pid and the
>> PidFile variable is only used for reporting status.

> And if you tried it?
>
> [root at meimei run]# grep pid /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> PidFile /var/run/sshd-meimei.pid
>
> [root at meimei run]# ls /var/run | grep sshd
> sshd-meimei.pid
>
> [root at meimei run]# cat /var/run/sshd-meimei.pid
> 16561
>
> [root at meimei run]# ps -eaf | grep 16561
> root     16561     1  0 09:48 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -D
>
> So......  Follow Rick's recommendation....

I have tried it. At least on an earlier Fedora with SysV.

The specified PID file is NOT created. Service stop fails because the
PID file is not found.

What you and others seem to be telling me is that the problem doesn't
exist on systemd machines, even though the man page implies that it
still works the same way. I'll try F21 soon.
--
Dave Close