End of 32-bit support?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 21 10:40:00 UTC 2015

On 01/21/2015 10:46 AM, poma wrote:

> You know that popular saying,
> Open source does not necessarily mean the open mind.
I am in vehement disagreement with this and repeatedly expressed it
before: "OpenSource needs open minds".

> BTW Ralf, are you prepared for incoming inevitable Fedora debacle,
I am semi-prepared :-)

I am occasionally trying other distros and have a i386 multi-boot
configuration on my (i386) Netbook, consisting of Win8.1, Fedora,
openSUSE and Ubuntu.

On this netbook, sse2 would not be a problem. Should Fedora drop the
i386, this netbook will likely be converted Win8.1-only and will be used
as dedicated Win-machine to serve those few cases I can not avoid using Win.

> did you choose a decent distribution for relocation of machinery?
Not wrt. to the PIII, Firstly, these "abandon sse", abandon sse2",
"abandon i386" discussions have taken me by surprise (IMO, these are a
coup d'etat).

I'll definitely will try to keep this machine running. So far, I haven't
investigated which distros still support non-sse2 architectures. If
CentOS7 did, I would switch to that now. Unfortunately the initial
promise of the CentOS project to provide one, also doesn't seem to be
wanting to become true.

That said, I'll likely try openSUSE first, then Ubuntu and if all else
fail - I'll likely resort CentOS6. But, as no decision has been drawn
yet, at least for now, I don't feel a pressing need to act.

Ralf