End of 32-bit support?

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:53:25 UTC 2015

On 01/21/2015 11:08 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 01/21/2015 06:26 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>
>> I honestly do not see any reason to make so much noise about it.
> I think I am not shouting loud enough. But I understand free speech is
> not welcome here.
False! There are only a few knuckleheads who flare up if you say things
they do not like. But it is still their their right to speak.
I was simply stating what is inevitable. I do not think 32 bit support
will come
to an end any time soon.
As I had previously stated, there are many countries where most people
still have the P3 computers. But even those are going to be junked sometime.

>> Where are 16 bit OS'es today? Does anyone want to go back to them?
> Apples and Oranges
Not at all!! 32 bit arch cpu's will end up being only for embedded
controllers
the way 8 bit and 16 bit cpu's are used in small controllers/appliances.

Are you ready for 128 bit architectures? Among the areas that will benefit
from 128 bit archs (from wikipedia):
     RISC-V architecture is defined for 32, 64 and 128 bits of integer
data width.
     Universally Unique Identifiers (UUID) consist of a 128-bit value.
     IPv6 routes computer network traffic amongst a 128-bit range of
addresses.
     ZFS is a 128-bit file system.
     GPU chips commonly move data across a 128-bit bus.[1]
     128 bits is a common key size for symmetric ciphers and a common
block size for block ciphers in cryptography.
     The AS/400 virtual instruction set defines all pointers as 128-bit.
This gets translated to the hardware's real instruction
     set as required, allowing the underlying hardware to change without
needing to recompile the software.
     Past hardware was 48-bit CISC, while current hardware is 64-bit
PowerPC.
     Because pointers are defined to be 128-bit, future hardware may be
128-bit without software incompatibility.
     Increasing the word size can speed up multiple precision
mathematical libraries. Applications include cryptography.

Technology does not wait for a change in our sentiments :) :)

>> Not me.
>> So, I think it is inevitable  that support for 32 bit OS'es will come to
>> an end.
> We are talking about a supposed to be community driven Linux distro
> bringing a sofar supported OS to a sudden death without any actual cause.
Well, the direction of the community is actually driven by the sponsors;
in this case, RedHat.
Perhaps Ubuntu will continue to support 32 bit because I think (and
still hope) their
direction is not dictated by any commercial sponsors/interests.