Ahh! did btrfs just explode on me?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 20:21:56 UTC 2015

Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nice tip.  Unfortunately, btrfs --version says 3.18.  I suppose that is not
>> sufficient.
>
> 3.18 is fine. 3.18.1 pulled in small fixes.
>

>> I like this procedure, it sounds simple.  Any way to fix it?  I guess the
>> btrfs was from initramfs, and that installing a newer kernel would update
>> initramfs and get me btrfs 3.18.1 when booted this way?
>
> Yes.

Thanks, I installed kernel 3.18.3, and followed your instructions to run btrfs
check --repair from initramfs.

But now that I have kernel-3.18.3 installed, I tried (fully) booting into it.
Surprise, it won't boot.  Choosing it from grub, I get the usual boot progress
indication, but hitting esc to show messages, all I get is a black screen.
Can't switch vt.  No indication of disk activity.  Nothing found (later) in
/var/log/messages about 3.18.3 - I don't think the boot got far enough.

Booting up 3.17.8 works fine.

--
-- Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it