Ahh! did btrfs just explode on me?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jan 21 20:26:20 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Nice tip.  Unfortunately, btrfs --version says 3.18.  I suppose that is not
>>> sufficient.
>>
>> 3.18 is fine. 3.18.1 pulled in small fixes.
>>

>>> I like this procedure, it sounds simple.  Any way to fix it?  I guess the
>>> btrfs was from initramfs, and that installing a newer kernel would update
>>> initramfs and get me btrfs 3.18.1 when booted this way?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> Thanks, I installed kernel 3.18.3, and followed your instructions to run btrfs
> check --repair from initramfs.
>
> But now that I have kernel-3.18.3 installed, I tried (fully) booting into it.
> Surprise, it won't boot.  Choosing it from grub, I get the usual boot progress
> indication, but hitting esc to show messages, all I get is a black screen.
> Can't switch vt.  No indication of disk activity.  Nothing found (later) in
> /var/log/messages about 3.18.3 - I don't think the boot got far enough.
>
> Booting up 3.17.8 works fine.

Interesting. I'm having the same problem, intermittently, with kernel
3.18.3. I haven't had a chance to do much regression testing though,
and have since moved to 3.19 kernels which don't seem to have this
problem. The handful of 3.18.3 boots I've tried, it always booted with
nomodeset; and only intermittently failed without it. So I figured it
was some video regression...

What happens if you remove 'rhgb quiet' and add 'nomodeset' parameter?

--
Chris Murphy