End of 32-bit support?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 22 15:52:29 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:52:30AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> But the secondary arches and the non-x86 arches have always been a
> problem. To Non-RH Fedora packagers they are causing lags, delays
> and are basically untestable - In short a waste of time.

I don't think that's a fair representation of the project's interest in
non-x86 architectures.

A lot of the interest in and work on secondary archs comes from non-Red
Hatters, or from Red Hatters working in their spare time. (Of course,
as RH often does, many of the high-output contributors end up applying
for and getting RH jobs, skewing the picture.)

Additionally, I'm not privy to Red Hat's architecture strategy, but as
far as I know, 32 bit ARM — currently our only primary non-x86 arch! — is
not of particular corporate interest.

I also think it's a little unfair to frame this as a conflict, overall.
It may be the case that Red Hat is less interested in paying people to
work on 32-bit x86 (although I don't actually know that to be a fact).
But this is just like any other contributor to the community — you
can't make people do work they're not interested in.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>