F21 - Refreshing DHCP lease on ethernet

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Jan 23 04:37:16 UTC 2015

I spent the day with doctor's appts that went way over, as the doctors
had emergency surgery, and regular appts just waited in the office...
Gave me time to think out how to handle my firewall routing challenges,
so I will be spending my time studying the router/firewall manual to
implement what I figured out (I have seen it in the manual, but never
implemented it so...).

Thus I will be leaving this problem, and the parallel studying of nmcli
for a later time.  But here is some answers to your questions:

On 01/22/2015 11:21 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21.01.2015 16:13, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> I am using ethernet to connect to a firewall I am configuring.  My
>>> initial connection did not have any dhcp config info (because I had not
>>> configured the server) like DNS servers and the like.  I have since
>>> configed the firewall, but cannot get this information to my system.  I
>> This should explain a "little" clearer.
>>> tried:
>>>
>>> ifdown p6p1; ifup p6p1
>> $ rpm -qf $(which ifdown) $(which ifup)
>> initscripts-9.56.1-6.fc21.x86_64
>> initscripts-9.56.1-6.fc21.x86_64
>>
>> Should ask someone who actually uses this rather outdated method.
>> Plus biosdevname, eh.
> If the OP's using the network service rather than NM, then using
> ifup/ifdown with ifcfg-p6p1 isn't outdated.

Using NetworkManager.

> To the OP:
>
> Is the problem that you're getting a dhcp lease from your "firewall"
> but resolv.conf isn't being populated?
>
> Are you using NM or network?
>
> What's the content of
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p6p1

No such file.  There is a ifcfg-Wired_connection_1

Which would explain why ifdown p6p1 etc did nothing?

> /etc/dhclient.conf or /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf (if they exist)

The later, and it has:

send dhcp-client-identifier = "foobar";

Which is left over from the macchanger test we were running at the IETF
back in November (what impact is randomizing MAC addresses for security
purposes have on IETF network protocols).

But this should not matter.

> /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
plugins=ifchg-rh

> /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/your_connection (if it exists)

empty directory.