despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 11:24:07 UTC 2015

On Friday 23 January 2015 11:18:50 Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:13:22 +0000
>
> Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > The problem is that security = share did *exactly* what I wanted and now
> > I can't seem to achieve the same effect any other way.
>
> Absurd, right? There is one other way: Use user and password based
> security, then make scripts for all the machines that mount the filesystems
> which hard code the user and password and set them up to run at login.
>
> Exactly the same level of security as share :-).
>
> I love the way samba advertises itself as replicating windows shares
> for linux, but windows hasn't made security = share go away.

I don't really understand this. How would making startup scripts per PC work?
My issue is that I can only connect each client to one samba share. Once I try
to connect the same client to a second share is throws be out with
credentials errors.

I realise that going back to Fedora 16 will only give me problems down the
line, but at the moment it seems as the only option - I can't go round
updating 120+ PC very easily.

If someone comes up with a strong argument as to why I need to re-design
everything, or at least gives me some idea of how I can do it easily I can't
se any alternative