Virtual CD/DVD burner for Fedora

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 19:28:47 UTC 2015

On 01/23/2015 12:14 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 01/23/2015 10:43 AM, jd1008 wrote:
>> googled for a virtual cd/dvd burner but all I could find
>> was cdemu, which is not a burner but a rom.
>>
>> Any info on a virtual cd/dvd burner would be greatly appreciated.
>
> cdemu V3.0.x emulates a burner now, but I don't see what use a virtual
> burner is unless you're writing your own burning software and want to
> see how it handles fake hardware. The only real test is on real
> hardware and as many different makes as you can get your grubby mitts
> on!
>
> If all you're trying to do is create an ISO image, just use brasero or
> xfburn to create the image. Mount that .iso using a loopback and the

I am using k3b, which incorporates cd-text.
Unfortunately, k3b insists on the presence of media in the device.
Even if I losetup /dev/loop0  <someFileofAppropriateSize>
and edit k3brc and change sr0 to loop0, k3b still wants media
in the device.
So, that is why I am looking for a burner emulator.
cdemu is not available for fedora. I found its sources on
on sourceforge, but there is no info on how to integrate all that
into a single install file. As it is, it is way to fragmented.
Not clear if all one needs is the client or the daemon or both,
not to mention the other 3 or more packages listed on sourceforge,
If you have info on a fedora cdemu for fedora, please share.

Thanx.