despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Fri Jan 23 21:17:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 09:54:26AM -0800, Philip Keogh wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> >On Friday 23 January 2015 15:59:48 Gary Stainburn wrote:
> >>I'm now installing Fedora 16 on my server and am going to re-do the last 4
> >>days work
> >Of course, my next problem is that yum no longer works, presumably because
> >there are no repositories left. Is this true, or are there still some out
> >there that I can use?
> >

> Of course this should never be used in production or exposed to the
> internet, but there is a repository you can use:
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/16/Everything/x86_64/os/
>
> For help adding the repository to that version of Fedora, see
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/System_Administrators_Guide/sec-Managing_Yum_Repositories.html
>
> --

No, please don't do this.  Be honest with yourself about how frequently
you are willing to upgrade this server, and compare that to Fedora's
release cycle.  It doesn't match up.  I'm all for using Fedora, even in
apparently mission-critical situations like yours - but only if the
admin is willing to work with it as the relatively rapid release cycle
distribution that it is.

An appropriate methodology could be:
+0 months  - Upgrade to Fedora 21 now.
+4 months  - When Fedora 22 is released, begin migration planning and testing
+10 months - By the time Fedora 23 is released, you should be ready to migrate to
             F22, or you should have already done so.
+10 months - Begin migration testing and planning for F23
+16 months - Complete migration to F23

If your workflow or circumstances can't accomodate more than a one year
lag, consider a distribution that has support cycles longer than one
year.  CentOS comes to mind, most of your knowledge will translate well.

--Pete